Language Enriched Exercise Plus Socialization
Exercise & Social Outing Program for People with Memory Loss
LEEPS will match people with Alzheimer's disease or other dementia to a volunteer from their community who will exercise with them and accompany them on local outings for social enjoyment and the opportunity to participate in volunteer activity.
LEEPS studies have shown that people with Alzheimer's Disease who participated in similar exercise and social activities experienced improved physical fitness and mood. Family caregivers of people with dementia can also benefit from LEEPS by using the time the participant spends with the volunteer to rest and refresh themselves or complete tasks that are easier to do alone.
LEEPS is a program for people with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease.
To participate, you need to:
- Be a resident of Kenosha county.
- Live in your home or the home of a family member.
- Be willing to go on outings with a community volunteer.
- Be able to perform simple exercises twice per week.
- Be able to follow verbal directions and participate in conversation.
What will I do if I enroll in LEEPS?
- An individualized exercise program will be developed for you in your home or other setting of your choice.
- A trained volunteer will be assigned to join you in exercising once a week.
- The volunteer will also accompany you once a week to a social activity or an opportunity for you to engage in a volunteer activity.
- You will also be encouraged to exercise with a family member or friend at least once a week.
- You and your volunteer will decide together where and when you would like exercise and go on outings.
*There is no cost to participate in the LEEPS program, funded
under a grant from the Wisconsin Dept of Health Services.
Program services are available in a variety of settings, including in the individual's home. Outings into the community are also an important part of the LEEPS program.
The LEEPS program is available in Kenosha County. If you or someone you know is interested in learning more about the LEEPS program, or would be interested in becoming involved as a program volunteer, please contact :
(262) 658-3508 Ext. 120
If you would like to volunteer for the LEEPS program, click here for more information.
In partnership with Kenosha County ADRC